Barcode Unreadable

james2k2
Hi All,

Sorry to post again. If you've read my other posts, you'll already know that I'm using Microsoft DPM. When I mount a tape and then do an inventory, it shows the Tape as having an Unreadable Barcode.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I'm currently using an IBM ULT3580-TD5 as the virtual device.

Kind Regards,
James

Re: Barcode Unreadable

Can you post your mhvtl and target system config in details ?

Re: Barcode Unreadable

james2k2
Of course. Please note that due to being unable to find drivers for the STK changer, I've now switched to a HP configuration.

device.conf:
VERSION: 5

Library: 10 CHANNEL: 0 TARGET: 00 LUN: 00
 Vendor identification: HP
 Product identification: MSL6000 Series
 Product revision level: 2.00
 Unit serial number: 80000010
 NAA: 10:11:22:33:ab:1:00:00
 Home directory: /media/exfat

Drive: 11 CHANNEL: 0 TARGET: 00 LUN: 01
 Library ID: 10 Slot: 01
 Vendor identification: HP
 Product identification: Ultrium 3-SCSI
 Product revision level: N11G
 Unit serial number: 80000011
 NAA: 10:11:22:33:ab:1:00:01
 Compression: factor 1 enabled 1

library_contents.10:
Drive 1:

Picker 1:

MAP 1:

Slot 1: HPS001L3
Slot 2: HPS002L3

mhvtl.conf:
MHVTL_CONFIG_PATH=/etc/mhvtl
CAPACITY=50000
VERBOSE=1
VTL_DEBUG=0

I will note, that I have since read that installing the correct drivers in Windows can sometimes fix this issue, so I've done that and mtx can see the barcodes, just not DPM.

My backup server is Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, running Microsoft DPM 2010.
MHVTL is running on Debian in a Hyper-V environment.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Kind Regards,
James

Re: Barcode Unreadable

Sorry for the delay in responding... Been away from computers for a couple weeks on leave.

I know NetBackup is 'fussy' about the model of library (STK seems to be best).. Some IBM lib types are good to.

I would suggest trying some different library models and see if DPM is any better..

Is there any SCSI inquiry utilities with DPM to help troubleshoot ?

e.g. NBU has 'scan' while NetWorker has 'inquire'

Re: Barcode Unreadable

james2k2
Thanks for the reply Mark, and I hope you had a nice time away.

DPM offers 3 enquiry tools.

It offers 'Inventory Library' with two options:
  1. Fast Inventory - Supposed to just read the barcode from each tape
  2. Detailed - Each tape is mounted in the drive and read

'Rescan': Scan for libraries (Will determine if a new one has appeared, or if one has gone offline etc)

'Refresh': Seems to just refresh the status of the selected library.

Now, when I first changed to the HP library, i did briefly see the barcodes appear in DPM, but then they went again. Due to the issue mentioned in my other post, I can't do any enquiry's at the moment. :(

Do you know of a driver download for the STK changers for Server 2008 R2-64? Then I can try it. :)

Re: Barcode Unreadable

Dave
I got the same problem. can't read barcode with MS DPM 2012 SP1 for mhvtl tapes.
I tried with HP StoreOnce VTL appliance and it's working fine.

Re: Barcode Unreadable

Dave
Attached please find the tcp dump when doing inventory in DPM.
the response of "READ ELEMENT STATUS" command from HP VTL contains barcode of the tapes but can't find similar response in MHVTL response.

hpvtl_inven.pcapngmhvtl_inven.pcapng

Re: Barcode Unreadable

dintid
Anyone figured this out yet? I have tried different setups but without luck so far - DPM cant read barcode.

Re: Barcode Unreadable

Unfortunately not.

Been over US for a couple of weeks and still trying to catch up on backlog.

Hopefully I'll be able to spend some quality time to look at it soon.

Sent from my iPhone

On 28 Nov 2013, at 17:47, "dintid [via mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyone figured this out yet? I have tried different setups but without luck so far - DPM cant read barcode.

http://mhvtl-a-linux-virtual-tape-library.966029.n3.nabble.com/Barcode-Unreadable-tp4025436p4025707.html
To start a new topic under mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, click here.
NAML