ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3' when upgrading from 0.18 to 1.4

ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3' when upgrading from 0.18 to 1.4

pedjag
When I try to load a tape, that loads fine on MHVTL-0.18, on MHVTL-1.4 the following error is noted:

ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3'

I'm assuming something is up when reading the tape headers?

Mark any advice or workaround?

Thanks

Pedro

Re: ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3' when upgrading from 0.18 to 1.4

A couple of ideas come to mind...

1. Modify code so "Undefined" media is permitted for all drive types. If so, is Read-Only OK ?
2. Create a utility to 'edit' media type fields to correct/sane values.

If option 1, use backup s/w to copy/clone to correctly created
Media. Once done, remove old media and recreate using 'mktape'
Pros - easy to code
Cons - lots of work on user

Option 2. Edit 'live' media needs an as yet unwritten utility.
Pros - Easy on end user
- Could be used to update media capacity field and other media meta data

Cons - not yet available
- potential to corrupt media further (due to bug in unwritten utility)

I think a combo of both will be in order. A private patch to allow media load now but not committed to main code to allow you to continue working until utility is written.

Sent from my iPhone

On 23/01/2013, at 5:32, "pedjag [via MHVTL - Linux Virtual Tape Library - Community Forums]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

When I try to load a tape, that loads fine on MHVTL-0.18, on MHVTL-1.4 the following error is noted:

ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3'

I'm assuming something is up when reading the tape headers?

Mark any advice or workaround?

Thanks

Pedro

To start a new topic under MHVTL - Linux Virtual Tape Library - Community Forums, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MHVTL - Linux Virtual Tape Library - Community Forums, click here.
NAML

Re: ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3' when upgrading from 0.18 to 1.4

Any chance of testing this patch (against current git head)..

It adds a new utility 'edit_tape' which takes similar switches to 'mktape'

You can update / change tape capacity, media type and media density.

density is 'LTO1' LTO2 LTO3, SDLT etc

Only the switches & data on the command line are updated.

Hence, if you only supply a new 'size' only the size field is updated.

edit_tape.diff

Re: ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3' when upgrading from 0.18 to 1.4

pedjag
I'll test the patch, will keep you informed, thanks for the quick turnaround.

Pedro

Re: ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3' when upgrading from 0.18 to 1.4

pedjag
Mark, this patch worked very well.

For our particular needs we required 'LTO3' tape density, after updating the tapes, we also performed a quick regression test with mhvtl-0.18, which worked as well.

Thanks Mark.

Pedro

Re: ERROR: loadTape(): failed to load with type 'Undefined' in drive type 'LTO-3' when upgrading from 0.18 to 1.4

Many thanks for confirmation. This patch will be included with upcoming release 1.4-6.

Thanks for the bug report and testing the fix.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone