Follow-up VTL set up on RHEL 5

steinweo
Dear members,

Could you please help me install mhvtl. I carefully followed the steps indicated in the "VTL set up on RHEL 5" post, but still cannot succeed installing mhvtl. So let me first summarize my setup and what I did so far.

1) I performed a default installation of RHEL 5 U5 under VirtualBox 3.2.8. By default, I mean that I did not customize software selection. Indeed, I let "Customize later" radio button checked. Moreover, I did not add support for "Web server" or "Software development".
2) I executed rhn_register script to register system to RHN (RedHat Network).
3) I installed additional packages as follows: yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc
4) I installed kernel sources as follows: wget ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-<kernel_release>.src.rpm, where kernel release is output of uname -r command (2.6.18-194.17.1.el5 in my case).
Then, I installed downloaded package as follows: rpm -ivh kernel-<kernel_release>.src.rpm
5) I updated my system as follows: up2date --update
6) I executed  VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run script to install VirtualBox guest additions
7) I installed mhvtl packages as follows: rpm -ivh mhvtl-0.18-11.src.rpm and rpm -ivh mhvtl-0.18-10.x86_64.rpm, as uname -p shows x86_64

This is where installation is going wrong. The next steps would be to change directory to /usr/src/packages/BUILD. However, there is no packages directory under /usr/src.

Could somebody let me know what did I do wrong. By the way, I forgot to mention that I performed all the steps mentioned here above under root account.

Thanks a lot beforehand for your help, Olivier

Re: Follow-up VTL set up on RHEL 5

steinweo
Hi,

Reading post from chandan, I realized that I should change directory to /usr/src/redhat/BUILD rather than /usr/src/packages/BUILD. Then, I was able to make kernel modules and start mhvtl.

Kind regards, Olivier.

PS: Thanks to chandan to shed some light on my problem.

Re: Follow-up VTL set up on RHEL 5

steinweo
Hi,

I also tried with OEL (Oracle Enterprise Linux) 5 U5, where - not surprising - one must also change directory to /usr/src/redhat/BUILD. Afterwards, I also tried with SLES (SUSE Linux Enterprise Server) 11 SP1. This time, I had to change directory to /usr/src/packages/BUILD.

To summarize:

- RHEL: cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
- OEL: cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
- SLES: cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD

Note: I did not try any other distribution yet. If somebody has already tried (i.e Ubuntu, Debian ...), please let me/us know your findings.

Thanks a lot, Olivier

Re: Follow-up VTL set up on RHEL 5

I have never used the RPM's to install mhvtl. I have always just compiled and installed from source.
Perhaps, it would be even easier when supported to use a software package manager i.e.  "yum install mhvtl".

Re: Follow-up VTL set up on RHEL 5

steinweo
It would indeed be nice to be able to install using a tool like yum. However, I must also admit that I am not a Linux guru and that without reading Chandan post, I would never have thought about looking under /usr/src/redhat.

Therefore, I started writing a how-to like procedure to successfully install mhvtl under RHEL, OEL and SLES. When it will be ready, I will probably post it here for people like me that do not master Linux.

Olivier