How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ?

How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ?

rami766
How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ? and what is the purpose ?

Usage: ./tapeexerciser -f tape_path
       WARNING: ./tapeexerciser will overwrite the tape

Re: How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ?

rami766 wrote
How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ? and what is the purpose ?
Usage: ./tapeexerciser -f tape_path
       WARNING: ./tapeexerciser will overwrite the tape
Mark added this (undocumented) utility in 0.18-10. It is a simple utility to test tape read/writes and positioning.
WARNING: This will overwrite your media.. I don't know how to use either ..

According to the Usage, it should be : tapeexerciser -f tape_path

But when I enter the following, it returns an error:

# tapeexerciser -f /opt/mhvtl/STK388TA
Failed to open /opt/mhvtl/STK388TA: Is a directory

or

# tapeexerciser -f STK388TA
Failed to open STK388TA: No such file or directory

Re: How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ?

ap2010
Usage:

you load a tape from the library into the drive using mtx, then use the tapedevice (non-rewinding) to let it run:

tapeexerciser -f /dev/nst0

As said, it overwrites your tape, so be careful with your data.

Albert

Re: How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ?

Many thanks Albert.

He is correct.

The 'tapeexerciser' was written in an attempt to isolate a bug I had with HP Dataprotector & TSM.

Instead of dumping the code, I included it in the source..

Anybody interested in getting their hands dirty in c coding and rewriting a real test utility ??
:)

Cheers
Mark

Re: How do you use the tapeexerciser utility ?

rami766
Thanks for the clarification

Rami