Identifying which SCSI reservation type is being used

Identifying which SCSI reservation type is being used

Tiger22
I am playing about with the available options in the IBM Tape device driver (lin_tape) and wanted to test the 2 different SCSI reservation types on offer (SCSI-2 reserve and release and SCSI-3 persistent reserverations). Is there any way within mhVTL, probably via debug logs I'm guessing, to show what type of SCSI reservation is being placed on a drive? The lin_tape options are sometimes confusing in terms of when it makes each type of SCSI reservation and I want to make sure it's doing what the lin_tape options say they will do.

Re: Identifying which SCSI reservation type is being used

Tiger22 wrote
Is there any way within mhVTL, probably via debug logs I'm guessing, to show what type of SCSI reservation is being placed on a drive?
The log level is defined in the /etc/mhvtl/mhvtl.conf

The level can be set to 0 (off), 1, 2 or 3 (max logging)

All log information is fed via 'syslog' -> default should be in /var/log/messages but may be different on your setup.

Level 1 is enough to log the SCSI OP code and sense data returned. This is enough to differentiate between old 'reservation' and 'SCSI Persistent Reservation'

- Reserve Unit is OP code 0x16, Release Unit is OP code 0x17
- SPR-IN is OP code 0x5e, SPR-OUT is OP code 0x5f

Note: SPR code within the mhVTL is rather primitive and I've only ever tested it with NetBackup.

I'd be very interested in how be behaves with other software.