LTFS support

melih
Hi mhVTL TEam,

I love mhVTL. It s really great!
First of all I want to thank you to provide such a great tool.

But still, for testing purpose I am still looking for a LTFS support to test LTFS (free version) or IBM Spectrum Archive etc. pp.

Can we expect a LTFS support in mhVTL in the near future?

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Melih

Re: LTFS support

melih wrote
I love mhVTL. It s really great!
First of all I want to thank you to provide such a great tool.
Thanks for the kudos..

melih wrote
But still, for testing purpose I am still looking for a LTFS support to test LTFS (free version) or IBM Spectrum Archive etc. pp.

Can we expect a LTFS support in mhVTL in the near future?
There are about 2 - 3 requests for this every year..

While I would love to find time to implement this, I don't have the resources available to (time & equipment).. Mainly time... Sigh.

The back-end storage would have to be changed to support multiple partitions (not a big deal in itself).
It's more the IBM LTO doco I've have indicates rather large amounts of disk space to emulate even a minimal LTFS setup. Add to this the lack of "backup software" to test any implementation... I did get around to downloading the LTFS and managed to get the binary form to run, but was never able to compile it from scratch into a executable...

I won't even get into the whole:
VTL makes a 'random' device look like a 'sequential' device. And LTFS is designed to make the 'sequential' device a 'random' device.. Why add two layers of emulation, just to get back to where you started...

I'm not saying LTFS will never happen, but it is not on my immediate todo list.