MHVTL - Netbackup - Deduplication

Speedy120581@
Hi Guys,

I wanted just to report back that after lot of fighting I got the MHVTL running on SLES 11 SP2 and even with deduplication. With SLES its not so easy to get it running but the forum helped me to fix the issues !

Now I got:
SLES 11 SP2
Storage Foundation 6.x
Deduplication (sf deduplication enabled)
Library: IBM ULT3582-TL -> tgt ISCSI to NBU 7.1.0.4 SLES box

All of this configuration are working fine and even the deduplication in background works around 25 percent of savings !

@Mark Good work on this ! Keep it up !

Thanks !

Re: MHVTL - Netbackup - Deduplication

Speedy120581@ wrote
Deduplication (sf deduplication enabled)
Is this filesystem based dedupe ?

Thanks

-nia

Re: MHVTL - Netbackup - Deduplication

Speedy120581@
well not like this....

the filesystem is vxfs at the moment. I installed me on this server the Storage Foundation 6.1 which includes as well Deduplication Engine. I enabled the deduplication for the mount point (Tapes) and the scan is running 4 times a day and it will deduplicate the data.

Did some more Backups now and looks like its working much better than I expected. I got already a percentage of Deduplication from 25 % without any special configuration. The Deduplication Engine scans the filesystem with a cluster size:

Saving    Status    Node            Type        Filesystem
25%       RUNNING   sf-vtl          MANUAL      /opt/mhvtl
        2013/03/07 18:02:34 Begin incremental scan
        2013/03/07 18:30:42 Actual current saving: 29%

Chunksize Enabled SkipShared Schedule        NodeList        Filesystem
4096      YES     FALSE      0,6,12,18 * 4   sf-vtl          /opt/mhvtl/

So now I have a VTL Deduplication Library which saves me lot of Storage :-)

Re: MHVTL - Netbackup - Deduplication

Speedy120581@
Well I had today as well some more testings.

MHVTL + OPENDEDUPE

Its doing the same things but doing it inline. So the CPU will be a bit higher for the process but the results are also impressive.