MHVTL & HP StorageWorks File System Extender 3.4

MHVTL & HP StorageWorks File System Extender 3.4

mariusz
This post was updated on .
Hello,

I'm trying configure FSE to use MHVTL as a library storage.
Unfortunately when I try format or init tape (fsemedium {--format, --init} barcode) something goes wrong and
mhvtl starts outputting messages like this infinitely:

mhvtl: CDB (112) 6 bytes
  08 00 00 00 88 00
mhvtl: CDB (113) 6 bytes
  08 00 00 00 88 00

and so on...

My configuration files: config.zip

It looks like mhvtl bug, actual configuration is based on similar one which was tested on physical tape library.

Thanks,
Mariusz

Re: MHVTL & HP StorageWorks File System Extender 3.4

Any chance of setting VERBOSE = 3 in the /etc/mhvtl/mhvtl.conf, restarting the vtl daemons and reproducing your problem.

Then post the syslog (typically /var/log/messages). Ubuntu is /var/log/daemon.log.

What is FSE ?

The log message you have provided is from the kernel module and not really useful in troubleshooting this type of problem.

Cheers
Mark

Re: MHVTL & HP StorageWorks File System Extender 3.4

mariusz
Hi,

FSE is shortcut of "HP StorageWorks File System Extender" (http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/fse/) which is implementation of HSM.

Here's fragment of my syslog: messages.zip

Thanks for help,
Mariusz

Re: MHVTL & HP StorageWorks File System Extender 3.4

Thanks for the syslog.

A couple of config details needs to be cleared up.

1. You have nine drives defined in library_config.?? Yet only four in device.conf

2. Media mount rules. It appears you want to allow all media types to be mounted in drive one. To achieve this, clear out ALL rules for this drive. I.e. If the list is empty no media matching is attempted.

The HP HSM software is continually trying to read a block of data from tape. I never see any attempts to write anything.
Seems like you need to do something in the s/w to initialize the media first.
Can you send me the logs during that init process ?

Sent from my iPhone

On 10/01/2011, at 8:41, "mariusz [via MHVTL - Linux Virtual Tape Library - Community Forums]"<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

FSE is shortcut of "HP StorageWorks File System Extender" (http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/fse/).

Here's fragment of my syslog: messages.zip

Thanks for help,
Mariusz

Re: MHVTL & HP StorageWorks File System Extender 3.4

Your /etc/mhvtl/mhvtl.conf is as below

# Home directory for config file(s)
MHVTL_CONFIG_PATH=/etc/mhvtl

# Default media capacity (500 M)
CAPACITY=2

# Set default verbosity [0|1|2|3]
VERBOSE=3

# Set kernel module debuging [0|1]
VTL_DEBUG=1

Are you sure you want the each media to be of 2M in size ?

LTO media capacity is typically 100G rather than 2M.

Note: You will have to remove all media from under the /opt/mhvtl/ directory, update the setting above and re-start the mhvtl daemons via the rc script to have the media recreated with the new capacity.

I would also disable the kernel module debugging to '0' as it's not useful for these sorts of trouble-shooting.