MHVTL with Symantec NetBackup 7.5

kronicker_chieftain

Hello respected virtuosos,

I am using the mhvtl on a Centos 5.7 x64, for a NetBackup environment : A windows server 2008 R2 master server and 2 media servers, same windows server 2008 R2, all three connected to the VTL with iscsi connection. Important to notice is that all this is in a virtual environment, VMware.

I am having troubles reading the tapes (NetBackup jobs like duplication, labelling, erasing fail in error messages).

I would need to completely physically erase data from these tapes and refresh them so that the NetBackup environment would see them brand new, non prevously used or written by other servers / environments .

How can I do this straight from the Centos VTL or from one of the Win servers, through the web GUI ?

Thank you very much  !

Re: MHVTL with Symantec NetBackup 7.5

Can you provide 'bperror -problems' report to assist in NetBackup trouble shoot..
Also bptm logs if you have them.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 26, 2013, at 18:41, "kronicker_chieftain [via MHVTL - Linux Virtual Tape Library - Community Forums]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello respected virtuosos,

I am using the mhvtl on a Centos 5.7 x64, for a NetBackup environment : A windows server 2008 R2 master server and 2 media servers, same windows server 2008 R2, all three connected to the VTL with iscsi connection. Important to notice is that all this is in a virtual environment, VMware.

I am having troubles reading the tapes (NetBackup jobs like duplication, labelling, erasing fail in error messages).

I would need to completely physically erase data from these tapes and refresh them so that the NetBackup environment would see them brand new, non prevously used or written by other servers / environments .

How can I do this straight from the Centos VTL or from one of the Win servers, through the web GUI ?

Thank you very much  !

To start a new topic under MHVTL - Linux Virtual Tape Library - Community Forums, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from MHVTL - Linux Virtual Tape Library - Community Forums, click here.
NAML

Re: MHVTL with Symantec NetBackup 7.5

kronicker_chieftain

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your response.

I have uploaded the bperror - problems and bptm log files.

022613.log

bperror_-problems.txt

Re: MHVTL with Symantec NetBackup 7.5

swanlet
Hello Sir
    Have you make sure that    the service "Netbackup device manager service" is started before your MSiSCSI Service

If It is not , make it sure by modify your registry

Re: MHVTL with Symantec NetBackup 7.5

First error from the problems report :
1361787108 1 388 16 win2k8mst.test.lab 116 0 0 win2k8dc.test.lab bptm block read is not a NetBackup or Backup Exec media header, len = 1024, media id 1012L4, drive index 3, data is unknown
1361787108 1 388 16 win2k8mst.test.lab 116 0 0 win2k8dc.test.lab bptm non NetBackup media found in drive index 3, FREEZING 1012L4
You have not configured media ID generation rules - Best practice is to define media ID & barcode rules.

Can you please run the command : "dump_tape -f <barcode>" - and supply the output
(NetBackup only reports the media ID which is only 6 chars of the barcode).

1361865882 1 386 8 win2k8dc.test.lab 0 0 0 *NULL* bptm TapeAlert Code: 0x0b, Type: Informational, Flag: CLEANING MEDIA, from drive STK.T10000B.001 (index 5), Media Id N303TA
NetBackup has attempted to write to a cleaning tape..
See my comment regarding configuring media ID generation rules & barcode rules above.

Once the above barcode rules & media ID generation rules are configured, remove all media from NetBackup and re-inventory the robot(s).

Run new backup/duplication jobs and forward same logs as previous + syslog from the linux host (typically /var/log/messages)

Re: MHVTL with Symantec NetBackup 7.5

kronicker_chieftain

Hello Mr Harvey,

Thank you very much.

I have finally deleted the virtual machines and just created the whole environment from the beginning . I have attached the previously used ( and not cleared up ) VTL, and the backup /  duplication work fine.

  I think that somehow the multiple operations and tests made with the VTL tapes have virtually damaged the tape headers / or perhaps due to multiple re-attachments of the old VTL to a new environment without cleaning up ( label & erase ) completely all the tapes.

Thank you very much and thumbs up for this great, great piece of software.

[...]

To unsubscribe from MHVTL with Symantec NetBackup 7.5, click here.
NAML