Removing Tape Data

fmk

Removing Tape Data

fmk
I am using mhVTL on Ubuntu (provided by Marek on this Forum) with NetBackup 7.1 on Windows Master/Media Servers.

Backups run very well, however, I am not sure what am I supposed to do once VTL Tape's data expires to clear space on Harddrive. Problem is that my VTL Tape's data is expiring normally, but disk space doesn't get freed.

Please advise. Thank you!

Re: Removing Tape Data

fmk wrote
Problem is that my VTL Tape's data is expiring normally, but disk space doesn't get freed.
NetBackup does not access tapes when it's time to expire images.

i.e. When NetBackup images exprire, they are removed from it's image db.. Nothing more.

NetBackup does not need access to media to expire all images..

I'm not sure how you have configured NBU, so can only advise on default behaviour.

Re: Removing Tape Data

Check out this write up for more information

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/virtual-tape-libraries-tape-capacity-and-media-management