Quantcast

System Center DPM 2012 R2

jmatin
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone has been able to get mhVTL to work with System Center Data Protection Manager?  I can get the library to show up with the tape drives as part of the library but I do not get any barcodes for the tapes.  I can also choose a different library/drive combo and get the library to show up with the tape barcodes in the appropriate slots but then the drives are not part of the library but instead show up as standalone drives.

The part that I need is for the drives to show up as part of the library and to have the barcodes populate.

For example: A HP MSL G3 with Ultrium LTO5 shows the library and drives under the library but no tape barcodes, I can preform a back and all is good but without the barcodes there really is know way to manage the tapes long term.  The HP ESL E shows my barcodes in the proper place but because the drive is standalone DPM can't do a backup because the loader never loads the tape into the drive.

Combining the libraries and type types does not help either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeremy

Re: System Center DPM 2012 R2

malaiwah
Hi.

I am trying the same thing, but can't find the correct combination of changer/drives settings for it to work, even with the latest version.
I tried mapping the drives by hand in the XML configuration file of DPMLA, but to no success.

Did you succeed on your side?

Thank you,

Michel

Re: System Center DPM 2012 R2

laser47
I've got mhVTL working on DPM 2012 R2 running on Server 2012 R2 in VMware using HP MSL6000 and HP Ultrim 4-SCSI drives.  I grabbed the latest HP driver from http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=463593&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4168.  In case HP changes the link, Google "HP MSL6000 device drivers" lead me to that, and it has all the HP tape drive and changer drivers included.

I'm using tgt for my iSCSI target, and the stock iSCSI initiator on Server 2012 R2 is working fine.  I don't like the commands in tgt to manage targets compared to other iSCSI systems, but that's for another forum.

Be sure to match your drive type with your tapes (i.e. LTO-2 Vs. LTO-4).  I copied some default configs I found online, and it had a LTO-2 tape in my LTO-4 drive, and DPM recognized it as read-only (LTO drives will only read previous generation tapes).  Check the library_contents to make sure that you have LTO-4 tapes loaded for your LTO-4 drive.

Barcodes don't seem to work, but a full inventory will recognize past tapes.  There's other threads about this, and hopefully it will be fixed soon.  I'm working on scripts to "change the library" when I switch out a few USB drives that simulate changing out a bank of tapes.  Once I clean them up, I'll try to post them to the forum.

Here's my device.conf:

VERSION: 5

# VPD page format:
# <page #> <Length> <x> <x+1>... <x+n>
# NAA format is an 8 hex byte value seperated by ':'
# Note: NAA is part of inquiry VPD 0x83
#
# Each 'record' is separated by one (or more) blank lines.
# Each 'record' starts at column 1
# Serial num max len is 10.
# Compression: factor X enabled 0|1
#     Where X is zlib compression factor        1 = Fastest compression
#                                               9 = Best compression
#     enabled 0 == off, 1 == on

Library: 10 CHANNEL: 03 TARGET: 01 LUN: 03
 Vendor identification: HP
 Product identification: MSL6000 Series
 Product revision level: 0520
 Unit serial number: USX604009T
 NAA: 10:22:33:44:ab:03:01:01
 fifo: /var/tmp/mhvtl

Drive: 11 CHANNEL: 03 TARGET: 01 LUN: 01
 Library ID: 10 Slot: 01
 Vendor identification: HP
 Product identification: Ultrium 4-SCSI
 Product revision level: F6AW
 Unit serial number: HU10606DUE
 NAA: 10:22:33:44:ab:03:01:02
 Compression: factor 1 enabled 1
 Compression type: lzo
 fifo: /var/tmp/mhvtl

Drive: 12 CHANNEL: 03 TARGET: 01 LUN: 02
 Library ID: 10 Slot: 02
 Vendor identification: HP
 Product identification: Ultrium 4-SCSI
 Product revision level: F6AW
 Unit serial number: HU10606DUF
 NAA: 10:22:33:44:ab:03:01:03
 Compression: factor 1 enabled 1
 Compression type: lzo
 fifo: /var/tmp/mhvtl

And my library_contents.10:

Drive 1:
Drive 2:

Picker 1:

MAP 1:
MAP 2:
MAP 3:
MAP 4:

# Slot 1 - ?, no gaps
# Slot N: [barcode]
# [barcode]
# a barcode is comprised of three fields: [Leading] [identifier] [Trailing]
# Leading "CLN" -- cleaning tape
# Leading "W" -- WORM tape
# Leading "NOBAR" -- will appear to have no barcode
# If the barcode is at least 8 character long, then the last two characters are Trailing
# Trailing "S3" - SDLT600
# Trailing "X4" - AIT-4
# Trailing "L1" - LTO 1, "L2" - LTO 2, "L3" - LTO 3, "L4" - LTO 4, "L5" - LTO 5
# Training "LT" - LTO 3 WORM, "LU" LTO 4 WORM, "LV" LTO 5 WORM
# Trailing "TA" - T10000+
# Trailing "JA" - 3592+
# Trailing "JB" - 3592E05+
# Trailing "JW" - WORM 3592+
# Trailing "JX" - WORM 3592E05+
#
Slot 0: CLN101L2
Slot 1: E01001L4
Slot 2: E01002L4
Slot 3: E01003L4
Slot 4: E01004L4
Slot 5: E01005L4
Slot 6: E01006L4
Slot 7: E01007L4
Slot 8: E01008L4
Slot 9: E01009L4
Slot 10: E01010L4
Slot 11: E01011L4
Slot 12: E01012L4
Slot 13: E01013L4
Slot 14: E01014L4
Slot 15: E01015L4
Slot 16: E01016L4
Slot 17: E01017L4
Slot 18: E01018L4
Slot 19: E01019L4
Slot 20: E01020L4
Slot 21: E01021L4
Slot 22: E01022L4
Slot 23: E01023L4
Slot 24:
Slot 25:
Slot 26:
Slot 27:
Slot 28:

and my /etc/tgt/targets.conf (domain name obscured):

default-driver iscsi

<target iqn.2001-04.com.domain:iscsi-2.tape>
        <backing-store /dev/sg4>
                device-type pt
                bs-type sg
                lun 1