Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
I have configured mhVTL (model as STK L700 0105) in RHEL 6.9 and changed the default tape capacity value from 500MB to 3072MB in mhvtl.conf file. But it is not reflecting in the Veeam application end.

[root@linuxmhvtl ~]# cat /etc/mhvtl/mhvtl.conf
MHVTL_CONFIG_PATH=/etc/mhvtl
CAPACITY=3072
VERBOSE=0
VTL_DEBUG=0
[root@linuxmhvtl ~]#
[root@linuxmhvtl mhVTLTapes]# dump_tape -f E01001L4
Media density code: 0x46
Media type code   : 0x08
Media description : Ultrium 4/16T
Tape Capacity     : 524288000 (500 MBytes)
Media type        : Normal data
Media             : read-write
Remaining Tape Capacity : 48643101 (46 MBytes)
Total num of filemarks: 3

Please suggest how to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

the value from the config file is used at media creation time only.

i.e. if the value is set to 500, and the media does not exist, then new media will be created using this value.

I’d have to assume this is what has occurred..

two options..

1. rm -r /opt/mhvtl/*
and restart mhVTL

or
2. use the ‘edit-tape’ command to update the metadata to set the new size (on each tape)

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 16, 2018, at 20:30, vemurirajesh10 [via mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have configured mhVTL (model as STK L700 0105) in RHEL 6.9 and changed the default tape capacity value from 500MB to 3072MB in mhvtl.conf file. But it is not reflecting in the Veeam application end.

[root@linuxmhvtl ~]# cat /etc/mhvtl/mhvtl.conf
MHVTL_CONFIG_PATH=/etc/mhvtl
CAPACITY=3072
VERBOSE=0
VTL_DEBUG=0
[root@linuxmhvtl ~]#
[root@linuxmhvtl mhVTLTapes]# dump_tape -f E01001L4
Media density code: 0x46
Media type code   : 0x08
Media description : Ultrium 4/16T
Tape Capacity     : 524288000 (500 MBytes)
Media type        : Normal data
Media             : read-write
Remaining Tape Capacity : 48643101 (46 MBytes)
Total num of filemarks: 3

Please suggest how to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

To start a new topic under mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, click here.
NAML

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have moved the tapes default path from /opt/mhvtl to /mhVTLTapes 100GB mount point. I have remove tape contents from /opt/mhvtl/* and moved tape contents from /mhVTLTapes/* to a sub-folder /mhVTLTapes/old_tapes/. Now mhVTL service is not coming up and getting error as make_vtl_media failed. Please suggest.

[root@linuxmhvtl mhVTLTapes]# /etc/init.d/mhvtl start
make_vtl_media failed..

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark,

I have rolled back the change by moving media from sub-folder ./old_tapes to /mhVTLTapes directory and restarted the services. I am not able to run the edit-tape command. Can you please let me know how can I execute it?

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Actually I have moved the tapes default path from /opt/mhvtl to /mhVTLTapes 100GB mount point. I have remove tape contents from /opt/mhvtl/* and moved tape contents from /mhVTLTapes/* to a sub-folder /mhVTLTapes/old_tapes/. Now mhVTL service is not coming up and getting error as make_vtl_media failed. Please suggest.

[root@linuxmhvtl mhVTLTapes]# /etc/init.d/mhvtl start
make_vtl_media failed..
Check for correct file permissions..

Again, The easiest method would be to
a) Make sure the user 'vtl' can write to the new file system / mount point.
b) rm -r all media
c) Update the 'Home directory' for the library config in /etc/mhvtl/device.conf
e.g.

Library: 10 CHANNEL: 00 TARGET: 00 LUN: 00
 Vendor identification: SPECTRA
 Product identification: PYTHON
 Unit serial number: AAAAA_A
 NAA: 10:22:33:44:ab:00:00:00
 Home directory: /opt/mhvtl
 PERSIST: False
 Backoff: 400
# fifo: /var/tmp/mhvtl

Library: 10 CHANNEL: 00 TARGET: 00 LUN: 00
 Vendor identification: SPECTRA
 Product identification: PYTHON
 Unit serial number: AAAAA_A
 NAA: 10:22:33:44:ab:00:00:00
 Home directory: /mhVTLTapes
 PERSIST: False
 Backoff: 400
# fifo: /var/tmp/mhvtl

d) Restart the daemons / mhvtl rc script will create the media for you based on the contents of the library_contents.xx file and default media size defined in the /etc/mhvtl/mhvtl.conf

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
I am not able to run the edit-tape command. Can you please let me know how can I execute it?
Are you sure this is the question you really mean to ask ?

Just like executing any linux command, make sure it is in the $PATH (default of /usr/bin is included).

Then just type the command in.
e.g.
$ edit_tape
Usage: edit_tape -l lib -m PCL [-s size] [-t type] [-d density] [-w on|off]
       Where 'size' is in Megabytes
             'lib' is Library number
             'type' is data | clean | WORM
             'PCL' is Physical Cartridge Label (barcode)
             '-w on|off' enable/disable write protect flag
             'density' can be on of the following:
           AIT1     AIT2     AIT3     AIT4
           DDS1     DDS2     DDS3     DDS4
           DLT3     DLT4
           SDLT1    SDLT220  SDLT320  SDLT600
           LTO1     LTO2     LTO3     LTO4
           LTO5     LTO6     LTO7
           T10KA    T10KB    T10KC
           9840A    9840B    9840C    9840D
           9940A    9940B
           J1A      E05      E06

You need to provide the parameters that make sense for your desired outcome.

p.s. Don't forget the man pages.. Please report any issues with the online doco so I can fix it.

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the update.

In your previous thread you have mentioned as edit-tape and hence I tried edit-tape command.

Issue is resolved and below is what I did:

1. Changed default tape path from /mhVTLTapes back to /opt/mhvtl in device.conf file
2. changed the media capacity from 500MB to 4GB in mhvtl.conf
3. deleted all tapes from /opt/mhvtl
4. stopped and started the mhvtl service
5. checked the tape size command using dump_tape command
6. stopped the mhvtl service
7. changed default tape path from /opt/mhvtl to /mhVLTTapes mount point
8. moved all the tapes from /opt/mhvtl to /mhVLTTapes
9. started the mhvtl service
10. reconfigured tape library in windows machine.

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark,

Is there any limitation in each tape size. What is the maximum size that we can configure for each tape?

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Is there any limitation in each tape size. What is the maximum size that we can configure for each tape
A good question...

I’ll double check when in front of a real computer, but I’m pretty sure the block numbers are stored in a 32bit unsigned int

Of course, the actual media capacity would depend on the block size used while writing

But you would have to question the sanity of turning perfectly valid random read/write media (disk) into sequential access (tape).

At least if you keep the media small, it limits this impact... And its not like you have to worry about physical size of a 32k slot library, or license $$$ issues

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Is there any limitation in each tape size. What is the maximum size that we can configure for each tape?
The 'blk_number' defined in vtlcart.h is an unsigned 32bit int

To prevent wrap-around, there is a check that the block number does not exceed this. i.e. "max_blk_number = 0xfffffff0;" (or 16 less than 2^32 blocks).
Plugging that value into my trusty calculator provides me with 4294967280 blocks..

Using a 64k block, that is a max capacity of 562949951324160 bytes. Or about 500TBytes.

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark

Thank you for the update.

When I configure VTL, I am able to see 20 LTO-4 Tape id's ranging from E..1 to E..20 and 10 LTO-5 virtual tape id's ranging from F..30 to F..39 with 2 cleaning tapes and 7 empty slots in library_contents.10 file.

I have to test 50TB backup, hence I have to redirect the default media path from /opt/mhvtl to /mhVTLTapes (60TB) mount path from storage. My thinking was to give single value 2TB for each tape as I have 30 virtual tapes.

Will it support same tape capacity (2TB each) for both L4 & L5 virtual tapes?
Is there any option to change the L4 tapes to L5 tapes?
Can I create 7 new vitual media ids for 7 empty slots?
Can I use NFS share from DataDomain mounted in Linux machine and redirect the tapes to that NFS mount point?
Are there any specific changes that are mandatory in vtl configuration to sustain 50TB data backup?

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark,

Can you please give me an update on the below points:

Rajesh

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
When I configure VTL, I am able to see 20 LTO-4 Tape id's ranging from E..1 to E..20 and 10 LTO-5 virtual tape id's ranging from F..30 to F..39 with 2 cleaning tapes and 7 empty slots in library_contents.10 file.
Correct, this is the default configuration. I chose this as I think it nicely demonstrates the ability to contain mixed drive types and media types. Feel free in changing this configuration to suit your needs.

You can simply increase the number of slots (and assign barcodes) to the library_contents.10 file.
The new barcode (media) will be created next time the rc script runs.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
I have to test 50TB backup, hence I have to redirect the default media path from /opt/mhvtl to /mhVTLTapes (60TB) mount path from storage. My thinking was to give single value 2TB for each tape as I have 30 virtual tapes.
You can either increase the capacity of each 'tape' or add more tapes/slots into the virtual library. It's your choice.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Will it support same tape capacity (2TB each) for both L4 & L5 virtual tapes?
There is no fundamental difference between each virtual tape type. Just the header metadata.
You can use the 'edit_tape' command to change the media type (or max capacity) or many of the metadata fields.

However, if you review the LTO documentation, you will find the LTO5 drives are capable of reading and writing to LTO4 media. So there is no requirement to change the tapes. Simply make sure all your drives are defined as LTO5.
The reverse is not true: i.e. LTO4 drives will not mount LTO5 media.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Is there any option to change the L4 tapes to L5 tapes?
As discussed earlier in this thread - please see the 'edit_tape' and associated man pages.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Can I create 7 new virtual media ids for 7 empty slots?
Sure - You can add more slots too. There is no physical limit - unless the ELEMENT STORAGE overlaps with one of the other slot types.
i.e.
Some libraries begin numbering drives from slot 1. Storage may begin at slot 32. In this made up example, you could not configure more than 31 drives in this library type.
Please see the manufactures slot assignment for this information.
The mhVTL attempts to follow the manufactures documentation as close as possible. (please advise if you notice any discrepencies)

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Can I use NFS share from DataDomain mounted in Linux machine and redirect the tapes to that NFS mount point?
For performance reasons, I wouldn't recommend it. But I can't see why not.
As long as the mount point is writable by the 'vtl' user.
It's not something I've attempted myself.
There is little in the way of fancy file handling. The standard c read(), write() seek() and truncate() calls are used.

vemurirajesh10 wrote
Are there any specific changes that are mandatory in vtl configuration to sustain 50TB data backup?
I've not tested this. Most of my usage has been a few hundred MB / few GB..

As stated in the description, the primary goal of this vtl is one for emulating real hardware as close as possible - i.e. Contains the concept of cleaning tapes, contains media access ports, and other concepts that does not really make sense for a VTL.
There is no focus on format compatibility across updates, or error checking / data retention. If your focus / goal is for production backups - you would be best to source a commercial product.

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the update.

I have 2 LTO-4 drives and 2 LTO-5 drives as default configuration. How do I change the 2 LTO-4 drives as LTO-5 drives?

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

Re: Unable in increase the virutal tape capacity from 500MB.

vemurirajesh10
Hi Mark,

I have edited the device.conf file and just changed in drive name from 4 to 5. Not sure if that works.

I have a query here. If for some reason, if my Linux machine crashes and if I rebuilt the Linux machine with mhVTL configured, then can I access my data that was backed up after mounting the NFS volume back?

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh