how to simulate tape status as frozen, suspended etc

how to simulate tape status as frozen, suspended etc

sajith
hi mhVTL team, I am using mhvtl version 1.4.9-1.el6 on  2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64 kernel. I am using mhvtl to test with NBU.
Could anyone help me to understand how I can simulate tape medai state likes frozen, suspended etc?
Also is it possible to mark tape as cleaning tapes?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Sajith

Re: how to simulate tape status as frozen, suspended etc

sajith wrote
hi mhVTL team, I am using mhvtl version 1.4.9-1.el6 on  2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64 kernel. I am using mhvtl to test with NBU.
Can you provide version of NetBackup please.. NBU 8.1.2+ needs a little more help as device discovery on Linux has changed.
The udev rules are not correct (systemd doesn't automagically create 'mhvtl' kernel type udev default paths).

Could anyone help me to understand how I can simulate tape medai state likes frozen, suspended etc?
SUSPENDED & FROZEN media states are NBU concepts. You need to run NBU commands to update/set these states.

If you want to simulate broken media - so NBU will detect media defects, the simplest method is to:
Write some backups to the media.
shutdown mhvtl, delete the media, and re-start mhvtl.
By deleting the media, the MAM information will be removed.
Now, when NetBackup next mounts the media, the MAM data will be different from what it recorded and will automatically freeze the media.
(similar in concepts of somebody taking 'barcodes' from old tapes and reusing on new tapes - Just don't do it !! - buy new barcodes for your new tapes)

The other method is a little more 'challenging' in that it is time dependant.
- Start a backup to a piece of media (you will need to identify which tape drive is being used) - simplest method here is to just down all but one drive, so NBU can only pick on drive.
- Use the 'vtlcmd xx TapeAlert nnnnn' command to send your required TapeAlert flag(s). At time of backup ending or unmounting the tape (which ever comes first), bptm will read the TapeAlert from the tape drive, and react accordingly.
Some TapeAlert flags - such as Hardware Error-A or Hardware Error-B will down the drive. Others like 'unrecovered write' will freeze the media.

Also is it possible to mark tape as cleaning tapes?
Check out the man pages for 'mktape' or 'edit_tape' for creating / changing media types & parameters.