mhVTL on Oracle Linux 5.9

peregrino
Hi Everyone

I'm dealing with an issue to install mhVTL on Oracle Linux 5.9, my current operating system. My goal is to install Oracle Secure Backup once that mhVTL is running.

According to the the link https://sites.google.com/site/linuxvtl2, I have followd this steps:
1.- rpm --import https://www.elrepo.org/RPM-GPG-KEY-elrepo.org
2.- rpm -Uvh http://www.elrepo.org/elrepo-release-5-4.el5.elrepo.noarch.rpm
3.- rpm -Uhv http://dl.atrpms.net/el5-x86_64/atrpms/stable/atrpms-repo-5-6.el5.x86_64.rpm
* NOTE: By default, the liblzo2_2 is not installed and my box doesn't have a repository to find it. For this reason I have installed this rpm file that let my box access a repository with the liblzo2_2 lib
4.- yum yum install liblzo2_2
5. sudo yum install mhvtl-utils kmod-mhvtl

After running all this steps, I get the following message if I perform /etc/init.d/mhvtl start:
/etc/init.d/mhvtl start
FATAL: Module mhvtl not found.
No kernel module loaded to feed these daemons.

Need mhvtl kernel module version at least 0.18.11

Did you remember to compile the 'mhvtl' kernel module ?

Please see http://sites.google.com/site/linuxvtl2/

According to this message, I understand, that I haven't install the kernel, so I have downloaded and uncompressed the mhvtl-2013-10-20.tgz file but with no success
1. tar xvzf mhvtl-2013-10-20
2. mhvtl-1.4
3. cd kernel
4. # make

Output:
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.39-400.211.3.el5uek/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/mhvtl-1.4/kernel modules
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.39-400.211.3.el5uek/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [default] Error 2

does someone have a tip to help me with this issue?

Thank you in advance

Re: mhVTL on Oracle Linux 5.9

pent2013
You seem to be missing the kernel-devel package. Or if you have upgraded your kernel, upgrade kernel-devel also and reboot.

Re: mhVTL on Oracle Linux 5.9

peregrino
First of all: thanks a lot for your help, support and time.

Second, I installed the kernel-devel package but it seems it's not enough. I'll follow your recomendation, upgrading the kernel and rebooting.

As soon it's done, I'll let you know.

Thanks in advance, merry x-mas and happy new year

Re: mhVTL on Oracle Linux 5.9

pent2013
Actually i meant if you have upgraded your kernel then reboot :-)

Ok here is what i meant, on my m/c
# uname -r
2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64

The above is my kernel version

ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep build
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root     51 Oct 14 13:03 build -> ../../../usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root      5 Oct 14 13:03 source -> build

Basically build directory required is a symbolic link to /usr/src/kernels/.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64

Now lets see who provides usr/src/kernels/.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64
#rpm -qf /usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64
kernel-devel-2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64

Lets see who creates the symbolic link
#rpm -qf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
kernel-2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64

So you see when the kernel rpm installs the modules under /lib/modules/ it creates a symbolic link to the build directory. However the symbolic link is invalid until the kernel devel package is installed, Cases where the kernel and the kernel-devel packages are present but you still have an invalid symbolic link is when you upgraded the kernel, but didn't upgrade the kernel devel package etc.

ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ on your m/c should give more information on your problem

Re: mhVTL on Oracle Linux 5.9

peregrino
Hi again.

First of all Tons of thanks for you explanation.
Second: you are right. The problem was that kernel-devel was not installed. You gave me the clue when I found that there were a symbolic link to a non existing folder.
Finally: Thank you for make me understand all the process.

Regards.