mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

l1l0
Hello, i have followed standard instruction to instll mhvtl on centos 5.4 but this doesn't work, when i try to start the service i have this report:
/etc/init.d/mhvtl: line 310: modprobe: command not found
No kernel module loaded to feed these daemons.

Need mhvtl kernel module version at least 0.18.11

maybe a mistake?

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

Re: Maybe a mistake?

Yep :)

But that's OK, it's "easy" to correct.

The fact that 'modprobe: command not found' indicates you either do not have /sbin in your path, which is most likely because you are not attempting to start this as the superuser (root).

Did you compile and install the mhvtl kernel module ?

A few details on how you installed and what steps you performed will be useful in identifying what you missed or did incorrect.

i.e.
 - Did you install using the pre-compiled RPMS ?
 - Did you download the source and build the kernel module ?

Cheers
Mark

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

l1l0
Mark Harvey wrote
Re: Maybe a mistake?

Yep :)

But that's OK, it's "easy" to correct.

The fact that 'modprobe: command not found' indicates you either do not have /sbin in your path, which is most likely because you are not attempting to start this as the superuser (root).

Did you compile and install the mhvtl kernel module ?

A few details on how you installed and what steps you performed will be useful in identifying what you missed or did incorrect.

i.e.
 - Did you install using the pre-compiled RPMS ?
 - Did you download the source and build the kernel module ?

Cheers
Mark
i compiled and installed the kernel source and when i launch "make " in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE/..mhvtl-018/kernel i have this:
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel from .text between 'is386' (at offset 0xc0401166) and 'check_x87'
WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'rest_init' (at offset 0xc04012ef) and 'try_name'
[....]

???

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

Re: Kernel module comple

Can you please cut/paste the output of the whole 'make' when in the mhvtl-0.18/kernel directory ?

Also, please refer to this shell script which will install all dependencies to build the kernel module

http://mhvtl-linux-virtual-tape-library-community-forums.966029.n3.nabble.com/file/n1777818/mhvtl-tgt.sh

e.g.
echo "Installing RPM packages for mhVTL..."
# kernel source
rpm -ivh $RPMS/kernel-devel-*.rpm
# make
rpm -ivh $RPMS/make-*.rpm
# gcc
rpm -ivh $RPMS/libgomp-*.`uname -i`.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/kernel-headers-*.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/glibc-headers-*.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/glibc-devel-*.`uname -i`.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/cpp-*.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/gcc-4*.rpm
# need during 2nd stage make for mhvtl
rpm -ivh $RPMS/zlib-devel-*.`uname -i`.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/which-*.`uname -i`.rpm
# utility
rpm -ivh $RPMS/lsscsi-*.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/mt-st-*.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/mtx-*.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/system-config-network-tui-*.rpm
rpm -ivh $RPMS/eject-*.rpm

Cheers
Mark

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

l1l0
i installed rpms and kernel source newly and now works :D, i need now to add this lib to tsm for testing purposes, my problem is that my tsm server is not on the same host of the library, how can i add the library to tsm?

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

l1l0 wrote
i installed rpms and kernel source newly and now works :D,
Great news. I'm assuming the installation of the kernel source was the missing bit.

l1l0 wrote
 i need now to add this lib to tsm for testing purposes, my problem is that my tsm server is not on the same host of the library, how can i add the library to tsm?
OK, you need to search this forum for iSCSI configuration setup details.
I'm assuming your TSM server is on another type of operating system ?
If TSM is running on a version of Linux, make it easier for yourself and install the mhvtl s/w on the same box as TSM.

Several on the list has had success with SCST (SCST doesn't allow the SECURITY PROTOCOL IN / SECURITY PROTOCOL OUT op codes through - so you can't test out the native encryption).

I've had a lot of success with STGT.

I like it down to the following basic differences.
SCST
- All in kernel space, so building custom kernel & modules is required.
- Potentially faster as it's all in kernel space.
- Programming errors will result in kernel panic/oops.
STGT
- All in user space.
- Very easy to build.
- Any programming errors will result in a core dump.

Either SCSI Target will work and which one you use is just personal preference.

Cheers
Mark

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

l1l0
i installed tgt framework and iscsi target, and works fine but now i have a prob with iscsi initirator on ws2008, when i configure it i cannot see the luns or the response is "target error".

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

I have experienced similar with Windows 7 and it was at the end Windows firewall .. check closer if you see anything like Global Profile or such ... Also avoid target names with upper case letters in them as windows hate those also.

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

Re: Target names.

The windows iSCSI initiator does not like UPPER CASE chars or "_" (or is it the '-' char??) - sorry, can't recall which char.. It's either '_' or '-'.

There are likely more chars that is rejected as iSCSI target identifiers.
Stick with chars in the [a-z0-9:.] range.

Can you post the target name you are using here so we can see what we are talking about.. Currently it is all guess work.

Cheers
Mark

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

l1l0
yes, you were right, now i can see the drives and the library on my windows server, but when i launch a backup with pool of destination the tapes i have this error:

 ANR8326I 004: Mount LTO volume SCRTCH R/W in drive GENDRV_10.0.2 (mt0.10.0.2) of library LTOLIB1 within 56 minutes.

seems that cannot load the tapes into the drive, how can i solve?

Re: mhvtl 18-12 on centos5.4 did not work

OK, now we're getting into TSM area, which I know nothing about.

Does TSM have some sort of 'robot test utility' ?

NetBackup has a 'robtest' thru which, the user can mount & unmount tapes..

If it is on Linux, you can use the 'mtx' command to achieve the same thing.

To confirm the 'mhvtl' section works, on the mhvtl host use mtx to mount the media (ANR8326I) into the drive and confirm it works correctly.

View robot inventory (assuming sg path is /dev/sg10)
# mtx -f /dev/sg10 status

Load  a tape (from slot 1 into drive 0 - don't ask... Slots start at 1. Drives start at 0)
# mtx -f /dev/sg10 load 1 0

Use the 'mt' command to confirm it is OK
# mt -f /dev/st0 status (assuming the tape device path is /dev/st0)

Then unload the tape
# mt -f /dev/st0 offline
# mtx -f /dev/sg10 unload 1 0

If the above tests work with mt & mtx utilities, than you need to talk with a TSM admin..

Cheers
Mark