mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf

mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
Hello,

I'm using mhvtl 1.4.10 with kernel 3.13.6 in a new centos6 box. I'm trying to export an autoloader and a drive to the ibm as/400.

Here is device.conf
Drive: 10 CHANNEL: 00 TARGET: 00 LUN: 00
 Library ID: 11 Slot: 01
 Vendor identification: IBM
 Product identification: ULT3580-TD4
 Product revision level: 89B2
 Unit serial number: 1310128571
 NAA: 10:22:33:44:ab:00:01:00
 Compression: factor 1 enabled 0
 Compression type: lzo
 Backoff: 400
# fifo: /var/tmp/mhvtl

Library: 11 CHANNEL: 00 TARGET: 00 LUN: 01
 Vendor identification: IBM
 Product identification: 3573-TL
 Product revision level: 7.30
 Unit serial number: 00L2U78H6085
 NAA: 10:22:33:44:ab:00:00:00
 Home directory: /opt/mhvtl
 Backoff: 400
# fifo: /var/tmp/mhvtl

and here is library_contents.11

Drive 1:
Picker 1:
MAP 1:

Slot 1: E01001L3
Slot 2:
Slot 3:
Slot 4:
Slot 5:
Slot 6:
Slot 7:
Slot 8:
Slot 9:
Slot 10:
Slot 11:
Slot 12:
Slot 13:
Slot 14:
Slot 15:
Slot 16:
Slot 17:
Slot 18:
Slot 19:
Slot 20:
Slot 21:
Slot 22:
Slot 23:
Slot 24:

Here is scst configuration:

cat /etc/scst.conf
# Header Info
setup_id 0x11
threads 4
# Tape Devices
HANDLER dev_tape {
        DEVICE 5:0:0:0
}

# Changer Devices
HANDLER dev_changer {
        DEVICE 5:0:0:1
}

# Qlogic Devices
TARGET_DRIVER qla2x00t {
        enabled 1

        TARGET 21:00:00:1b:32:1a:76:c7 {
                LUN 0 5:0:0:0
                LUN 1 5:0:0:1
                enabled 1
        }
}

If i connect this box to another linux box, the client can connect to it and see the both the autoloader and the drive and can write to it.

If i connect it to as/400 box it can see it but when asking for the info on the tape it reports:

 Density . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *UNKNOWN

and it should appear *ULTRIUM3.

Nevertheless in mhvtl linux box i see:

# mtx -f /dev/sg2 load 1
Drive 0 Full (Storage Element 1 loaded)
# mt -f /dev/st0  status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x44 (LTO-3).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Any ideas? Was anyone able to put mhvtl to work with as/400? It's a power 720 with operating system 7.1.

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

AS/400.. I think you're the first :)

Can you set VERBOSE =3 in mhvtl.conf & restart daemons..

record the time (makes it easier for me if i know where to start)
reproduce OS/400 test.
Forward syslog (/var/log/messages) for further analysis..

thanks
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
Hello,

Verbose was already set to 3. Please find the messages file at pastebin here:

http://pastebin.centos.org/8636/

In the messages you can find the echos from my shell when LIP was executed.

Thanks for any help.
Nuno Fernandes
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
Rsyslog was ratelimiting the log. Please find a new full log at

http://pastebin.centos.org/8641/

Best regards,
Nuno Fernandes
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
Hello,

Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

Not at this stage..

I've been thru the "IBM System Storage TS3100 Tape Library and TS3200 Tape Library SCSI Reference (GA32-0547-01)" and matched up each OP code sent to the library and confirmed that I have followed the IBM doco for the required responses.

Without understanding what/how the AS/OS400 is looking for to make this decision, it's a bit like looking for that needle in the haystack.

There are a couple of VPD pages (D0h & FFh) whos details are not described in the mentioned reference guide. Hence are not implemented by mhVTL.

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

I think I might have found the bug.

It's only with the 3793-TL where I've got a return from malloc() test backwards

Patch shortly

Sent from my iPhone

On 8 Apr 2014, at 2:38, "npf [via mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

Any ideas on this issue?

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes

http://mhvtl-a-linux-virtual-tape-library.966029.n3.nabble.com/mhvtl-and-as-400-iseries-tp4025772p4025778.html
To start a new topic under mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, click here.
NAML

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

I've pushed several outstanding patches into github.

If possible, can I ask you to test the latest HEAD and if successful - undo the latest patch/commit.

i.e. git reset --hard HEAD^

The 2nd latest patch resolves the inverted test for malloc() return value. I think this is the most likely cause - but it would be nice to have confirmation.

Sorry for the delay - it's been a little hectic with paid work..
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
I'm trying with 1.5.0 release... I will have to wait for a "not so production hour" to test it. Does it have the patches?

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

Yes. all patches are there. Thanks for the update

Sent from my iPhone

http://mhvtl-a-linux-virtual-tape-library.966029.n3.nabble.com/mhvtl-and-as-400-iseries-tp4025772p4025787.html
To start a new topic under mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library, click here.
NAML
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
Hello again,

The issue remains the same. Do i need to change anything in the configuration?
Please find all the logs in

http://pastebin.centos.org/8911/

Best regards,
Nuno Fernandes

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

Looks like I've managed to munge Inquiry VPD pages 0x80 & 0x83 for libraries pretty badly.

I'm investigating root cause and should have a fix soon(ish) - most likely next 24 to 48hrs..
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
Hello,

Did you find the bug in VPD pages code?

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
Hello,

Did you ever resolved the issue?

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

pent2013
Hi Nuno, Mark,

Were you able to resolve this ? I'm looking for a setup with a as/400 as the initiator too. A howto will be most helpful

TIA and Cheers
npf

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf
I was unsuccessfully with mhvtl.   I had reports that with Quadstor opensource edition it worked. http://www.quadstor.com

I will try later this week.

Re: mhvtl and as/400 (iseries)

npf wrote
Did you find the bug in VPD pages code?
There several fixes in github already. There is one outstanding question regarding serial number length for changer devices before I release 1.5-2

Any checks against github would be most welcome.

Note: I'm currently on holidays for another couple of weeks, so nothing much will likely happen from my end until then.