tape cartridge is swowing wron size

deepak
Hello all

from last  days I am working on this appliaction. and it work fine but i am facing a problem.
in my enviornment I created A HP-MSL6000 LTO-5 Libraries with 2 drives and 50 slots were i change the default size of tape is 1.4 TB.
but when i access this from symantec backup exec it shows the cartridge size  3.7 GB each.

why this is showing the wrong size I allready change the default size in mhvtl.conf file.
I am using GUI tool for managing this mhvtl tool.

Please response and provide me any solution ASAP.

Thanks in advance .......

Re: tape cartridge is swowing wron size

deepak
Hello Mark Can u help me on this issue !!!

Re: tape cartridge is swowing wron size

You haven't provided much information to go on..

Can you please supply a 'dump_tape -f <barcode>' of a tape which only stores 3.7G (note the output will be large).

Re: tape cartridge is swowing wron size

deepak
Hi Mark,

I'm using GUI to get the dump tape information but on Putty it is not allowing to do the same.
here attaching both Backup EXEC media details as well Dump Tape details from MHVTL GUI.

Thanks,
Deepak

Re: tape cartridge is swowing wron size

The 'dump_tape' does not show any data on the tape...

Please write a backup to the tape and confirm it won't allow to store at least 'tape size' bytes..

If you could supply syslog with mhvtl verbose at 2 when BE is determining the 'tape size'.. I can at least attempt to guess at how BE is trying to calculate the tape size..

After all, BE does NOT know what data you are going to backup, hence can not look into the future to see what sort of compression ration it will get to come up with these magic values..

Most backup s/w just keeps writing to the tape until the drive returns EOT marker..