I was directed to mhVTL as a tool to help demonstrate backup software and wanted to test with TSM
I wanted to test several scenarios and got as far as I could in these scenarios for each test until I could get no further. The scenarios were basically:
1) Define library and drives with mhVTL
2) Install correct device driver (IBMTape for emulated IBM hardware or TSM driver for emulated non-IBM hardware).
3) Define library, drive and paths to TSM server.
4) Label library volumes (label libvol command) to TSM server.
5) define devclass and storage pools for tape.
6) backup TSM DB to devclass.
7) backup client data to stgpool.
8) define copy pool and back up.
9) "eject" media to I/O port (MAP).
10) use mhvtl command to remove volume.
11) use mhvtl command to add volume back.
12) checkin library volume from I/O port (MAP).
13) Where applicable, test multi-generations of drives and media within same logical library.
14) Where applicable, test WORM tape within same logical library.
15) Issue Move Data commands to get tapes mounted and moved from within the same StgPool.
I tested the following libraries and drives.
Tested emulated IBM TS3500 tape library and IBM LTO6 tape drives. I ran into 2 problems.
-- The first being the issue issueing the set appendonly opcode, which was reported by davidpo in this forum. I have attached the Protect activity log and the mhVTL log entries for this problem. The workaround was to disable the checktapepos feature of Protect. This was a problem with several tape drive types, not just LTO6.
-- When completing I/O to LTO6 tape drives, during the dismount process TSM issues a RSF (Reverse Space File) command. This just issues a warning during client backup BUT it does cause the TSM DB backup to fail. I did not test any further on LTO6.
I have attached actlog and mhvtl logs for the second problem under the title
Specifically, test scenarios 1-5 worked, 6 failed, 7 worked and I did not proceed any further.
Tested emulated TS3500 and LTO5 with LTO5 r/w media. This worked (set appendonly issued did occur, but set checktapepos worked).
Tested emulated TS3500 with LTO5 with LTO5 r/w and worm media in the same library. This worked (set appendonly issue did occur).
Tested emulated TS3500 with LTO5 and LTO4 drives and r/w media (and LTO5 worm media) in the same library. This worked (appendonly issues did occcur). One oddity, to get LTO5 drives to work, once TSM starts mark all LTO4 drives offline then online, now all 3 (LTO5 r/w, LTO5 Worm and LTO4 r/w work as intended). I do not believe this is a mhVTL issue or at least not one that is reported in mhVTL logs.
Tested emulated STK L180 and T10000B drives with r/w and worm media. All test scenarios worked fine. This used the TSM device driver (tsmscsi) instead of IBM tape device driver.
Tested TS3500 tape library and TS1140, TS1130 and TS1120 tape drives. All 3 failed when trying to define tape drive paths in step 3. Could not proceed further. Find attached TS1140-problems zip file. Not a clear an error, but mhvtl logs reports vendor specific opcode.
Tested TS3500 tape library and 3592 gen1 tape drive. This worked up to step #4, then failed. find 3592-problems zip file attached. This is odd, the TSM actlog shows an i/o error, but the mhvtl does not report any error I can locat within the same time frame.
FYI: Here is a link to the different opcodes that TSM may issue, if it helps;
TSM SCSI opcodes in different messages
Feel free to contact me with questions. I will post step-by-steps and example files for the 2 successful tests.
Huge testing effort. I'll review the details when I've got a proper network connection:)
Sent from my autocorrecting iPhone
On 3 Sep 2015, at 02:14, danlthom [via mhVTL - A Linux Virtual Tape Library] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Regards from Australia
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|