the write speed of mhvtl?

seeker
Hi,everyone.
How about the write speed of mhvtl when you use it to backup something?
Can you tell me if you did a test about that
Thanks

Re: the write speed of mhvtl?

A good question..

Answer - it depends on disk i/o performance.

A quick test with NetBackup 7.5.0.6

Hardware setup.
On a laptop (i5 with 8G RAM running Win 7 + SSD (limited to SATA-2)).
Oracle Virtual Box guest CentOS with 2G RAM with mhVTL and NetBackup master server.

Backup Selections: Using gen_data directives of:
GEN_DATA
GEN_MAXFILES=1000
GEN_KBSIZE=10240
GEN_PERCENT_RANDOM=50

mhVTL verbose = 1

I ran the policy twice and averaged a little over 200MB/sec (spanned over 11 x 500M virtual tapes)

Same test direct to disk (same file system as virtual media) performed at 80MB/sec..

The extra performance via mhVTL can be explained as the data is compressed before being written to the file system - so only 1/2 the amount of data is written to disk via mhVTL.

A Dell 1850 with 2G RAM, SLES 10 + NetBackup 7.5.0.5.
Same directives as above.
Just over 45MB/Sec

Re: the write speed of mhvtl?

seeker