vtlcmd and MAP

gergnz
Hi all,

First off, Mark, awesome piece of software!

On to the question.

Is it possible to use the MAP as a virtual storage bucket, using vtlcmd to move tapes in and out of it into the library?

The documentation seems to suggest you can get tapes from the library into the MAP using vtlcmd X load map Y.
e.g. "load map ID -> Load media ID into map"

When I try that I get the following:
# vtlcmd 10 load map UD1011L4
barcode already in library

Which is correct, it is in the library, and I want it to go into the MAP.

I can get media out in the wild (e.g. I just created a new tape with mktape) into the MAP using the same command.
# vtlcmd 10 load map UD1001L4
OK

But once I close the map, how do I import that into the library as suggested by:
"close map   -> Close map to allow media import"

Is all this even possible? (whether it currently works or not, and if not can the vtllibrary code be extended to support it?)

Thanks,
Greg.

Re: vtlcmd and MAP

gergnz wrote
Hi all,

First off, Mark, awesome piece of software!
Thanks

gergnz wrote
[...]

This is something typically performed by the backup application.

e.g. In NetBackup (GUI -> Tick the 'empty MAP' and perform a robot inventory), or cli
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 0 -use_barcode_rules -empty_map

You can move the media using 'mtx' command also.

Cheers

Re: vtlcmd and MAP

 I don't know if anyone tested before, if STK ACSLS can be used with mhvtl ?.

If so, you can set it to do automatic loading of tapes once the CAP is closed if your backup application prefers this method.

I am not aware of any other way any other physical tape libraries  does automatic loading of tapes outside of the backup application ..

Re: vtlcmd and MAP

gergnz
Hi Mark,

thanks for that information.  I am using bacula, and can't find something specific which bacula uses, rather bacula utilises mtx to move medium around and get status information.

Looking at the man page for mtx, I learned that I can transfer tapes between the MAP and library slots, and vice versa. According to the man page I can also move between slots.

For those who end up googling, the useful commands are:

mtx -f /dev/sg4 eepos 0 transfer 2 50

mtx -f /dev/sg4 status

sg4 is your library device, "0" is the command to pass to eepos (something to do with import/export tray, 0 means do nothing), "2" is the from slot, "50" is the to slot.

Re: vtlcmd and MAP

metcas
Hi Mark et al,
Thank you for these details.
I have now been able to move a media into the MAP (Mail Slot)
Is it now possible to move the 'tape' out of the VTL totally thus emulating taking a tape out of a physical library and storing in in a remote facility?
A requirment is that I can bring the tape back into the library via a mail slot at some future time ;)

I'm using MHVTL with our Tape library software and it it ideal for testing and training purposes.

Thank you
Steve

Re: vtlcmd and MAP

You can indeed remove (clear) contents of the MAP...

vtlcmd <rob num> empty map

man vtlcmd ;)

like a real library, you first have to open the map, then add/clear it, then close it again..

While the MAP is open, the library cant access it, while it is closed, a user can't access it. (except for listing contents - but that exception is just convience :)

To 'move' media between systems, you will need to copy /opt/vtl/<barcode> to remote system and can then add to MAP for importing..

Note: default behaviou is to not save movements across restarts but movements can be made perstient via /etc/mhvtl/device.conf

RE: vtlcmd and MAP

metcas

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the information. I can now perform the exact actions I wanted to.

MHVTL is perfect for my purpose of testing and demonstrating our media management software.

Best Regards

Steve Metcalfe

Interica | Tel: +44 1825 745100 | Direct: +44 1825 745110 | Mob +44 7958 476923
Support Email [hidden email]

This is an email from Interica. Interica Ltd is a limited company registered in England with registered number 5314139. Registered office is at Staple Court, 11 Staple Inn Buildings, London WC1V 7QH. Interica Inc is an incorporated company registered in United States of America.

You can indeed remove (clear) contents of the MAP...

vtlcmd <rob num> empty map

man vtlcmd ;)

like a real library, you first have to open the map, then add/clear it, then close it again..

While the MAP is open, the library cant access it, while it is closed, a user can't access it. (except for listing contents - but that exception is just convience :)

To 'move' media between systems, you will need to copy /opt/vtl/<barcode> to remote system and can then add to MAP for importing..

Note: default behaviou is to not save movements across restarts but movements can be made perstient via /etc/mhvtl/device.conf

http://mhvtl-a-linux-virtual-tape-library.966029.n3.nabble.com/vtlcmd-and-MAP-tp2029710p4025921.html

To unsubscribe from vtlcmd and MAP, click here.
NAML